Saturday, May 31, 2008

March/April/May Showers Bring Lots of Flowers

The temperatures have finally warmed up to tolerable here, we've had some sunny, dry days, and the plants seem to have loved all the cold, rainy, even snowy days we had. Irises of all kinds are blooming - many that I have not seen bloom in years or forgot that I had. I have a few pictures (my camera has been devouring batteries).

German Bearded Iris - mauve and white - really lovely this year - sometimes the colors are too muddy for me:



Siberian Iris - Summer Sky - light sky blue/white/yellow - these are in a bed that has been around for 10 years or more, overcrowded, grass-infested - putting on quite a show, along with the dark purple, larger-flowered Caesar's Brother, which I thought had died out.


Not a very good picture of my favorite purple species iris - reminds me of the iris that grows wild in Virginia, and certainly runs wild in my yard. It winds up everywhere. Also in the picture are blue columbine - descendants of purple columbine from my Aunt Helen.


Autumn fern, with Tassel fern behind it. Not a very good picture - it's a gorgeous coppery pink, leaves unfurling. The Tassel fern is dark, glossy green.

3 comments:

dmd said...

Great pictures - that fern is magnificent.

Needles said...

The pictures are great Sue. The blue columbine is one of my favourite things. It is very hard to some by out here. Some years all you can find are the yellow and orange hybrids (not a fan).

DJ said...

Ahhh...Lovely flowers!
Thank you...